Why I Write

This site is dedicated to my sister. She likes to hear me tell story's about the events that have taken place in my life. She is under the belief that they are funny. Maybe they are and maybe they are not. You, however can decide for yourself as to weather or not these story's are funny. Some are stupid and some are crazy! Enjoy.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

World’s Greatest Golfer, for 35 Minutes

It was a glorious Saturday afternoon when my best friend, Robert Marcum said, ya know, we ought to go golfing today. Well, it really didn't take much convincing to get me to agree because I was basically choosing between that or watching T.V. all day and I probably needed the exercise. With that quick decision we were off to conquer the links. After going to every golf course in a 20 mile radius and discovering that you need a tee time on a Saturday to play golf, we decided on the only course that would except walk up business on a busy Saturday. Bogie Buster Golf Course was the destination of choice. If you have ever played bogies before then you are fully aware of their quality of golf. For those of you that are not aware of Bogies, than let me enlighten you on the subject. This place is basically a cow pasture with greens placed in random places around this farm. It is the only golf course that I have ever played on that you could lose a ball by hitting it straight down the middle of the fairway. It is caddy shack mixed with Little House on the Prairie, and that is not an exaggeration.

After paying for the round and settling into our carts, we headed to the first tee. Robert was the first to tee off, and then I followed. This was our normal arrangement at this time in our golf experience, we did this because at the time Robert was not the best at driving the ball off of the tee box and he would basically play my ball off of the tee box every time. This made for some pretty quick rounds of golf because we were always playing from the same spot on the course.

So Robert hit his ball and then I hit my ball, and we drove to play my next shot. Upon arriving at the ball we realized that we had actually hit into another guy playing the first hole. After apologizing, we waited for him to hit his next shot so he could finish the hole ahead of us. This guy hit his drive really far to the right on the first hole and could not find the ball, which is why we didn't see him at the tee box when we were teeing off. He was to the right trying to find his ball, and the hole looked empty to us. So like I said we are standing there waiting for him to hit his second shot. The guy swings the club,( which looks pretty good I might add)the ball flies through the air towards the green, hits the flag pole and drops into the hole. Robert and I look at each other and in unison say, holy cow what a shot, great shot man. This guy then proceeds to look at us and give us the, I have done that a thousand time before look. He walks to the green gets his ball and gets in his cart. He never once celebrated or acted as if he was enjoying this turn of events. Robert and I were stunned. Even Tiger Woods would have given it the old fist pump, but this guy had no emotion what so ever he just proceeded to the next hole.

Robert and I finish our first hole and then proceed to the tee of the second hole. Well, God's gift to golf was still on the second tee, so he offered for us to play the round with him, probably because he wanted to show us that he was the magic man on the golf course. And that is exactly what he did; it was a thing of beauty, straight up in the air and straight down in the middle of the green. That ball landed about 4 feet from the hole and the Magic Man putted it in on his next shot. Once again there is zero celebration from this guy. At this point he may be the smuggest person that I have ever been around. For the next two holes the Magic Man did his thing and was shooting 5 under par in 4 holes. It is to this day the most impressive four holes I have ever seen.

The Magic must have run out, because for the next four holes The Magic Man played the worst golf that I have ever seen. I would guess that he shot more than 8 strokes on each of the four holes. Guess what though, at hole eight, The Magic Man decided that he had somewhere to be and he quit the round and left the golf course. The Magic Man was never to be seen again. Robert and I still laugh about the day that we witnessed the world's greatest golfer for, for 35 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I dont remember quite like that but close. I do remember that guy hitting the pin and then looking at us like he did it all the time...huge doucher! Then he went on to play the worst golf I have ever seen...even at Bogey's! And then leaving to course in a hurry like two holes later. Very funny!! Why dont you tell them of the time you took me to a huge mountain in Maine, told me that skiing is easy as long as I made a "V" with my skis and all would be great...then I spent 8 hours falling down said mountain while watching you ski past me laughing. The V idea is bull$h!t!! How about the time you were lighting farts at your dad's house, which looking back at it, could have burned the house down with some of them, like the one we filmed! For that reason alone, you cannot run for public office!

    ReplyDelete